How to make your own chicken stock

Chicken stock is an ingredient in many dishes and and is readily available in stores. But, it is really easy to make your own and you'll have the satisfaction of knowing exactly what's in it. You'll get a flavour you won't find in a packet or carton and it will cost you less, as you're using bones which are usually just thrown away. And boiling the bones gets you some extra minerals too.

How do you do it?



  • Pile chicken bones in a largish pot.
  • Add a peeled onion, a chopped carrot, and a stick of celery. (You can also add any odds and ends of veges you have around.)
  • Add enough water to completely cover the chicken bones.
  • Bring to the boil.
  • Keep it at a slow boil/simmer for two or more hours, adding more water if the level gets too low.
  • Drain the solids out and refrigerate or freeze.

I like to freeze the stock in muffin pans, so I have convenient amounts for adding to dishes. Once they are frozen, just pop them out and store them in a ziplock bag in the freezer.

Photobucket

This lot was actually made in my thermomix, and the reason it's pale is the thermomix recipe only calls for 60 minutes of cooking. So if you want a darker, richer flavour, cook for longer on the stovetop.

I use the chicken bones from the roast chickens that we buy once in a while. I now buy La Ionica chickens as I've found out pastured/free range chicken is healthier and this particular brand is hormone free and not chemically processed. Not terribly thrifty I know, but I feel better if I know I'm using every bit of it in this way.

You won't want to go back to using store bought stock, this tastes too good.

No comments:

Post a Comment