Homemade spelt bread, thermomix or by hand

There's nothing much better than the smell of fresh bread and that's what we've been smelling round here lately as I've taken to making my own on a regular basis.

And it's soooo good! My mum used to make all the bread for a family of eight, so I don't know what's taken me so long to get round to the idea of making my own. I do have a bread machine, but I haven't used that in a long while, partly due to now having a thermomix. The thermomix doesn't actually cook the bread for you, but it certainly does all the rest of hard work. That said, it is pretty easy to make this bread by hand, but seeing as I have a thermomix, I'm gonna use it!

Actually, the reason I now like to make my own is because I have become so much more aware of exactly what is put into our food. And why spelt? I use spelt instead of wheat for it's nutritious benefits, as well as it's flavour and texture. Spelt can sometimes be found in supermarkets, however I buy it in 5kg bags over the net and it gets delivered, just what I like.



Spelt bread by hand

1 tablespoon dry yeast
2 cups warm water
3 tablespoons honey
3 tablespoons melted butter
2 teaspoons salt
5-6 cups spelt flour (any combo of brown or white)

  • Mix yeast, water and honey in a large bowl and let it stand for 5-10 minutes.
  • Stir in the butter, salt and 3 cups of flour.
  • Add the remainng flour in small amounts until the dough becomes too stiff to stir, then turn out onto floured bench.
  • Knead for about 6 minutes, but do not overwork the dough. Stop when it is smooth and elastic.
  • Place in a bowl, cover and let it rise until doubled in size.
  • Punch down the dough, and divide it between 2 smallish loaf pans.
  • Cover and let it rise again.
  • Heat oven to 175c (350f)
  • Bake for 20 minutes or so, until it is brown on the top and smelling done. Mmm mmm!

Spelt bread in the thermomix
10 grams dry yeast
2 cups warm water
85 grams honey
75 grams butter
2 teaspoons salt
5-6 cups spelt flour (any combo of brown or white)

  • Place chopped butter in TM bowl and melt on 90c, speed 3 for about 1 1/2 minutes.
  • Add honey, warm water and yeast. Mix on speed 4 for 2 seconds then leave to sit for 5-10 minutes.
  • Add salt and 3 cups of flour. Mix on speed 5 for 10 seconds.
  • Add 2 more cups of flour, mixing on speed 5 for 10 seconds after each addition.
  • Knead in TM for 2 minutes
  • Place in a bowl, cover and let it rise until doubled in size.
  • Punch down the dough, and divide it between 2 smallish loaf pans.
  • Cover and let it rise again.
  • Heat oven to 175c (350f)
  • Bake for 20 minutes or so, until it is brown on the top and smelling done.

See? Couldn't be easier.

Photobucket

6 comments:

  1. Mmmm, looks just like Mum used to make!

    ReplyDelete
  2. THank you for the recipe!!

    Sorry to hear about the recent loss of your third baby- I'm sure he was absolutely beautiful

    xo Georgina xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I grind spelt grains in the thermomix will that produce the same quality flour required in the above recipe. Also, would buckwheat groats made into flour also produce a similar result? I am new to gluten free cooking, sorry if these questions yield obvious answers! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kym, I think the best place to find the answers to these questions would be over at Jo Whitton's quirky cooking blog. She is a long time thermomix user and used to grind all her own flours and make spelt bread too. I don't know much about buckwheat groats but again, Jo is the font of knowledge about these type of things. Spelt is not gluten free, though it is lower in gluten than regular wheat and makes delicious bread. Have fun with your thermomix!

    ReplyDelete