Make your own lemonade syrup

I saw this recipe at Red Bird Crafts a few days ago and it looked so good I had to give it a go. It was very quick and easy and it tastes divine.

Usually I keep a bottle of lemon and barley cordial syrup in the cupboard, for 'emergencies' haha, but that will now be phased out and replaced with the recipe below.


Lemonade Syrup

2 cups of sugar
1 cup water
Thinly sliced rinds of 2 lemons ( I just used the zest, not the whole rind)
1/8 teaspoon of salt (I left this out)
Juice of 7 lemons

  • Place all ingredients, except juice, into a pot.
  • Simmer for 7 minutes.
  • Cool and add the juice of 7 lemons.
  • Strain and then add half of the rinds to the syrup for flavor and colour.
  • Store in a jar and place in the refrigerator.

Pour a bit into a glass and add water, and ice if you prefer.
If you wanted it bubbly you could substitute soda water instead.

And of course it has no preservatives or any of the other wacky bits and bobs that seem to go into commercially prepared food these days.


Photobucket


Yes I did strain it, but yes, that is a lemon pip you see floating happily at the top there. My straining technique obviously needs work. And my syrup is a lot darker than Red Bird Crafts example, ahem, because I thought I'd set the timer and hadn't. So it appears that overcooking will not cause irreparable damage.

This really is delish, and Red Bird Crafts has some very workable craft ideas over there too, worth having a look-see.


2 comments:

  1. Hello! You had stopped by my page, so I thought I would come check out yours. Great tips! :) I'm following you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping in, it's lovely to get feedback. Gee, you must be a busy mama, four boys, wow!

    ReplyDelete