Home made sausage rolls - sort of

I made my own sausage rolls today....well, sort of. What I actually did was squeeze the sausage meat out of the grass finished beef sausages I get from the farmers market and made my own pastry. Now, I wouldn't do that with regular old supermarket or corner butcher sausages, but I've spoken to this farmer and his family and know where the meat is coming from and how it's raised.

If you happen to live in Victoria, Family Farmed Meats turn up at farmers markets to the South and East of Melbourne and you can actually place an order online and pick it up at your nominated market. Love it.

And I just noticed on their website they will home deliver in Metro Melbourne and regional areas too. Get together with a friend or two and do yourselves a favour by ordering some healthy meat.

Once I'd finished squeezing out my saussies I had a duh thought and rang this farmer up. I asked if they could prepare an un-sausaged pack of sausage meat for me to pick up at my local market. Of course they can, no problem at all.
Did I say I love it?!

Ok, back to my sausage rolls.
I pulled my pre-rolled pastry sheets out of the freezer (yes, I do still have the odd instant, ready-made indulgence) and then had a thought to check the ingredient list. Oh yuck. Darn, there goes that time saving ploy.

Next time saving idea: can I make pastry in my Thermomix?
Yes!

This is how:

120grams butter
80grams lard
100gms chilled water
250grams plain flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons lemon juice

Put flour in TM bowl and turbo for a few seconds to sift.
Cut butter and lard into walnut sized pieces, add to bowl along with salt, lemon juice, and most of the water.
Knead for 10-20 secs on interval unitl it forms a rough dough. You may need to add the rest of the water.
Turn onto lightly floured board and pat gently into a log shape.
Roll out to a long thin strip, approx 40cm x 12 cm.
Fold into 3 by folding the bottom third up and the top third down over that.
Turn so that folds are at the sides. Roll out again.
Repeat this 3 more times.
Cover and leave in fridge till ready to use, at least 30 mins.

Sooo easy!
I didn't have lard so used all butter (although I'm finding out lard is not as bad as we've all been led to believe so may ask my farmer about it) and it was easy to work with and tasted delicious.

Here it is ready to be fridged:
Photobucket

And here's what was left of the finished product after the men in my house had been at them:
Photobucket


I'm sure you could adapt the above method to a food processor with probably no adaption needed at all and I'll experiment with freezing next time. These would be great to have on hand for just about any occasion, so a stash in the freezer would work well.

Delicious, and I love knowing exactly what's in them.


(I can't believe this is the first time I've made my own puff (sort of) pastry. Shakes head at self....)


No comments:

Post a Comment