Gee, where to start?

There seems so much to this topic, I'm not sure where to begin. What got me on to the green and thrifty train? Well, after having my second baby, I got interested in modern cloth nappies, or cloth diapers as they are called in some parts. Everything went from there and I discovered that often, what is the thrifty or frugal option, is also the green option.
At the same time, I was looking for ways to make money from home, as I wasn't sure how mum working outside the home would go for us, with the two kids. As it turns out, it didn't work out particularly well, so I am certainly glad of all the research I have already done.

These are some areas where I've found it's easy to save money: Kids - toys, clothes, activities. The kitchen - cooking and grocery shopping. The laundry. House cleaning. Gift giving. The utility bills.


And ways to make money from home? The internet has opportunities, you just need to be aware of scams and the like.


Lets start with kids - Baby and kids market
Kids can be expensive, but they certainly don't need to be. Especially when they're younger....mine are 1 and 4, so beyond that will be a work in progress. Something I discovered that has helped me hugely in the cost of clothing my kids is baby a
nd kids markets. These are held Australia wide and are jam packed with other parents trying to get rid of their children's outgrown and unneeded clothes, toys and equipment. $3 to get in, bring plenty of small change, bring your own cloth bag to stash your purchases in and try and leave the pram and kids at home.

If you're not close to any of these markets, what second hand avenues do you have available to you? Thrift stores, goodwill store, op shop, St Vinnies....get my drift? Consignment stores? Garage or yard sales? Ebay? Oztion? Craigslist? Another type of baby and kids market in my area is held several times a year at a local primary school, run by a Neighbourhood House.
It is really easy to get good quality, sometimes barely used, second hand kids clothes and equipment in this fashion.


And don't forget babies
My husband and I were lucky enough to be on the receiving end of a good friend divesting themselves of everything baby just when we needed it. That was a huge money saver, but if you are not that fortunate, the above sources mentioned are just perfect places to pick up baby gear too.
Oh, and don't forget the possibility of cloth nappies/cloth diapers. An upfront cost, but ultimately, good for your pocket, good for the environment and good for baby.
More on that topic coming up....


No comments:

Post a Comment