Cheesy crackers - great snack for the kids

,This is one of the recipes I use regularly, it saves me buying crackers from the supermarket that are full of all the things I would rather my kids didn't ingest. This recipe has all of five ingredients if you include the pepper, and the crackers can be rolled and cut into just about any shape. I do little little ones for my one year old and bigger shapes for other guy.


Cheesy crackers

1/2 cup of flour white flour
1/2 cup of brown flour (I use 1 cup of wholemeal spelt flour instead, works well)
140 grams of butter
225 grams grated cheese
1/2 teaspoon of pepper


  • Put flour, butter, cheese and pepper into a food processor.
  • Mix until it looks crumbly.
  • Add water one tablespoon at a time until it pulls together.
  • Refrigerate for 20 minutes. ( I have actually frozen the dough for around two weeks and it still comes out fine)
  • Flour the bench, roll out very thin (they need to be thin to be crispy) and cut into shapes.
  • Bake at 175c for about 15 minutes, or until slightly darkened. The darker they get, the crispier they are, but too dark and hubby says they taste like burnt cheese, hehe.


Photobucket

I store these in an airtight container in the freezer, and give them to the kids straight from the freezer. So I'm not sure how long they would retain their crispness if they were kept in the pantry instead.

Also, I make double the quantity of dough, because I am lazy and this means I just need to thaw the dough, then roll and cut the next time round.


One thing that does really help in the whole frugal/thrifty kitchen thing, is a decent freezer. I was given one as a gift, which may sound odd, but it was the best thing I could have been given....you would have thought me a few sandwiches short of a picnic if you'd seen me dancing round my deep freeze when I got it, yes, I'm a simple gal at heart. Anyway, if you can pick one up somewhere, do it...ebay, oztion, secondhand store, wherever. A good investment, methinks.


No comments:

Post a Comment